Bass fishing is one of the most popular activities in the sport today. Not only are bass commonly found, but they are also strong fish that provide a fun angling experience. Today we invited our friends from Delta Net and Twine to share their thoughts on the top three states for bass fishing.
Top 3 States for Bass Fishing
If you’re looking for the best places in the country to fish for bass, there are a few states that come to mind. There are multiple locations around the country that are perfect for bass fishing and can give you the thrill of a lifetime. However, if you’re planning a bass fishing excursion soon, consider planning a trip this summer to one of these three states:
Lake Fork, TX
● This lake is home to some of the largest bass in the state and is located on the Sabine River. The lake has a surface area of 27,264 acres and a depth of 70 feet. The fall, winter, and spring are the best months to catch bass at the lake. Since Texas is hot during the summer, some people enjoy fishing at night. The most common baits used include plastic worms, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and topwaters.
Lake Sam Rayburn, TX
● This lake, located near the town of Jasper, has a surface area of 114,500 acres and a depth of 80 feet. Sam Rayburn Reservoir was named the #1 spot in the 2018 Bassmaster Magazine’s 100 best bass lakes.
Falcon Lake, TX
● A shallow lake situated near Laredo on the Rio Grande River. The depth is 9 feet, and the surface area spreads across 85,195 acres. The lake is home to an angler fishing tournament.
Clear Lake, CA
● This is one of the top bass fishing locations in both California and in the country. Anglers from all over the country come to California to fish at Clear Lake due to its endless amount of the largest bass in the state. Located north of Sacramento, this lake is home to 43,663 acres and has a depth of 21 to 59 feet.
Castaic Lake, CA
● Located just north of Los Angeles, this 320,000-acre lake is known for its largemouth bass fishing. California’s record bass was caught here and sits at a whopping 21 pounds and 12 ounces.
San Joaquin River Delta, CA
● Largemouth, smallmouth, and striped bass are common in the San Joaquin River, particularly in the delta. Although it is a lesser known area in California, anglers will love the various bass swimming around.
Lake Chickamauga, TN
● Located in Chattanooga, this lake boasts some of the largest bass in the country. The record bass caught here weighed in at 14 pounds. It is 35,000 acres and hosts state and national bass fishing tournaments. The lake is consistently on the Bassmaster top 100 lakes in the U.S.A. The tailwaters of the dam provide excellent bass fishing conditions at all times of the year.
Kentucky Lake (TN and KY)
● The fish at this popular lake like threadfin shad and gizzard shad. The lake covers 160,309 acres and is known for its ledges. It is situated on the Tennessee River and is located both in Tennessee and Kentucky. It is one of the most popular places to bass fish in Tennessee.
Douglas Lake, TN
● This lake is in the gorgeous Smoky Mountains. It is home to a surface area of 30,600 acres and is home to a high largemouth bass population. The most popular months for bass fishing are April and May. The scenery here is gorgeous, and you can enjoy fishing throughout the year.
Other Bass Fishing Spots
If you are wanting to bass fish, there are several lakes in these states that are home to some of the largest bass in the country.
And no matter where you end up, make sure you invest in a fishing license and the proper fishing equipment before you go. And of course, make sure your boat is protected with all of your Megaware KeelGuard gear. It is also a good idea to check the weather forecast before heading out to the lake. Then kick back, relax and leave the world behind.